Friday, April 14, 2006

Hockey 101

         


                  DsDesigns2Hockey101.gif

 

I had some comments and emails regarding the hockey playoffs, and 'lack' of knowledge on the sport.  I decided I would give some very basic information regarding the game so you can all decide on your picks starting next week :)  I won't try to teach you all the rules, regulations, and theories of the game in one post as it will bore some of you to tears and others may run off screaming! 

 

The breakdown is pretty simple.  There are 2 conferences, East & West.  In each conference there are 3 divisions and each division has 5 teams.  As in major sports, the championship game puts the 2 conferences up against each other.  There are 82 games in a season.  Each game is 3 periods, and no game ends in a tie.  If after 3 periods the score is tied there is a 5 minute sudden death overtime session 4 on 4, if it is still tie there is a shoot out.  For each win a team is awarded 2 points, if a game goes into overtime the winner gets 2 points the loser 1.  Points are accumulated and this determines the clubs standings.  Eight teams from each conference go to the playoffs.  The top 3 seeds in a conference are determined by who wins the division, regardless of the number of points (so you may see a 3rd place team with less points then the 4th place team).  The remaining 5 are seeded by points.  I won't get into tie breakers at this point, as I don't think it will be relevant this year. 

 

There is still some jockeying for position but the season ends on Tuesday and the playoffs start on Friday.  When the teams are seeded the first place team for each conference plays the last place team in the same conference in a best of 7 series.  Second seed plays seventh, third play six and so on.  The higher seeded team gets home ice advantage. 

 

I will list who plays who to make it easier.  If you want to look at things feel free to stop and www.nhl.com and go to standings :)   I will give you a bit of a hint.  Throughout the season teams play their division foes 8 times.  This was done to create a rivalry.  You may want to look at the records of the teams in each division, if the division is a bit weaker the points may be a bit deceiving, but then again maybe not.  LOL  Without taking anything away from Detroit, I will use them as an example.  They are in the West (central) division.  This is a very weak division and 3 of the 5 teams are below .500 and have over 30 less points.  With this said, the Wings got to play these teams 8 times a piece for the possibility of 48 points.  I don't remember how many they actually won against the weaker teams, but it is food for thought.   

 

I had thought about doing a pool where you pick who wins it all, but that maybe be a bit difficult so I will go series by series.  It is a best of 7 and they generally play every other night.  I do hope you will all humor me and play along.  :)

 

PS The logos in the graphic are not drawings of mine, I can only take credit for the design and animation.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna, love that graphic. When you do one like this is there way to slow it down? It took me a few seconds to realize what it said.

Well, I now know more about hockey than I may care to know. I will never ask you what time it is since I do not want to hear you tell me how to build a watch. j/k
Bill

Anonymous said...

0 man - the text is cool!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna
Thanks for the lesson on Hockey.  You really are going to shape us into fans, aren't you?  Good for you!  I hope all your readers play the game with you next week during payoffs.  I'll be here.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I went to a hockey game last night............ na na na na na na .......................
The Rockford Icehogs against the Flint Generals...........
It was a blast !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lesson.  I'll play along, just for the fun of it.....and figure I'll learn more that way.  Love the graphic, it's cool the way the letters float!

~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Had to print this one out for reminders!  But glad you took the time to 'splain it to those of us who want to play, but don't follow regularly!

Anonymous said...

Not really my thing can I sit this one out  please ?Knitting is my sport these days lol ......Janxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna, I'm going to print this, so I can re~read it LOL   When I was little my dad took me to a few games at our local rink ~ I saw the Romford Raiders play several times! It was a while ago but I remember it being very exciting !! Looking forward to joining in the fun :-)
love Debbie ~xx~

Anonymous said...

Dearest Donna
HI Sweetie! :):)
I like all of this ...umm how will we know which team is the best?
heheh
love,nat