Tuesday, December 5, 2006

A Rant, some Bitchin, and maybe a Whine

Ok, so I mentioned my boys game from Saturday.  I talked about Ovechkin and him being an up and coming star.  I also mentioned what I, and several other hockey fans, consider his cheap and dangerous hit from behind.  Now keep in mind it is against the rules to do such.  Also keep in mind the player he hit was out of the play and heading off the ice.  It is said that Briere dives and embellishes on occasion and I will agree to an extent, but watch this clip and see if he is acting during the collision with the boards.  Maybe he laid on the ice too long, but the hit into the boards and almost open door is not, in my opinion, something he did on purpose or acted out.  He was vulnerable, defenseless, and not expecting the hit.  He did come back to play, thank God, but that really isn't the point.  You be the judge.  Watch the replay of the actual hit, it may take a few seconds to get to an angle where you can see it, but watch and you tell me what you think.  And please, don't tell me this is a violent sport.  This is against the rules.

 

            

 

So, what happened to Ovechkin for this hit?  He got a 5 minute boarding penalty, a game misconduct, and a $100 fine.  The fine is automatic with the boarding penalty.  This man makes a million dollars a year or $12,000.00 a game.  In perspective it's like maybe $3.00 to most of us.  This fine is supposed to keep him from doing it again?  Send a message to keep others from doing it?  I doubt it.  It's something he could use to wipe his ass!  Any other player would have been suspended for a few games with no pay at least.  He is considered a draw and money maker.  Now Paul Gaustad, the guy who comes to Briere's rescue, to stick up for his teammate.  He got a 5 minute fighting penalty and a game misconduct, but a $1,100.00 fine.  What does he make a year?  About $600,000.00.  Now maybe it's me, but something is wrong with this picture.  A star does something so cheap and gets barely a slap on the wrist.  A gritty player who stands up for a teammate after such play gets a worse penalty?  Ovechkin stated in an interview that he couldn't help it and it is partially Briere's fault as he turned at the last second.  Huh?  You were behind him the whole time and skated towards him after.....GRRRRRRRRRR

 

Ok, I'm done bitching, it's over and done, but I am truly disappointed in this whole ordeal. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about the sport so cannot really comment but I will take your word that it is unfair.  It does seem a rather small fine considering what he earns.  I think it is the same in all sports.  It is all money now and not the game.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so he DEFINITELY skated up right behind him and purposely pushed him. He hit his head on the wall, of course he's gonna lay there in pain! What is wrong with these people? I understand that this is a violent sport, but that's just ridiculous. Totally uncalled for. How can they justify that?

Morgan
xxxx

Anonymous said...

..ditto [Jeanne04's comment.]
Gem

Anonymous said...

I understand nothing about HOCKEY lol sosorry but does look like nothing was done intentionally. But I must say I see much violence in toher sprots too!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm not into sports.Especially when they get paid to "play".So I know not of what you speak. But they bigger they are the more they get by with.

Anonymous said...

Donna, very definitely a penalty. I can never understand the time and fines that that they give for the various offences. I give the ref a lot of lee way since they are calling it as they see it and it may not be what we see especially with the replays and the fdifferent camera angles. I note that you did not complain too much on Saturday but after seeing the replays today you really got upset.
I would always allow the retaliation some slack and his penalty seemed excessive. Again did we see what the ref did?
Tough sport. Great game to watch especially in person up close.
Was your man able to play afterwards or the next game.
Bill

Anonymous said...

Wow that guy really got hit!  I don't understand the penalty system....but it isn't fair!!  
Pam

Anonymous said...

Dayum, and I thought this was going to be about graphics again!  Sigh, what is that hockey or something?  They play with sticks right?  LOL!
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah!  That hockey is a sport I really, really want to play!!!   NOT!  lol
~Meg

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna I dont understand the sport ,however I'm sure you are right ..loveJan xx