Monday, February 6, 2006

Beach Front

DsDesignsIslandHome.gif


When I first saw this graphic it reminded my of many trips to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Then last night when I was putting up my water reflection graphics it jumped at me again and I decided to save it for an actual entry.  Before I forgot about it again and have it get lost in the numerous graphics I've done I decided I would put it up today.  


I've been to the Outer Banks on several occasions and each time had a great time.  Numerous nooks and crannies to explore.  This house looks like something that could be found on the sound side of the island.   


Light Houses galore, and it's where the Wright Brothers flew the first plane.  I remember as a young girl running the track the plane took for take off and I actually ran faster then the plane.  Years later my son did the same thing.   


Most times we would rent a house either on the beach or within walking distance.  The ocean smell would fill our nostrils and lungs.  The sweet scent of salt would entice us as we walked on the sandy beaches looking for sea shells.  The foam from the waves breaking would roll over our feet and gently remove the sand beneath them, sometimes exposing sand crabs and they would dart to hide from us.  Gentle breezes blowing our hair in the wind and more often then not leaving salt deposit on us for a later time.  The sea oats on the small dunes lining the beach would dance and sway with each other.  Children darting in and out of the water as they scurried from the waves.  Laughter could be heard echoing throughout.  Blankets and sun umbrellas splashed bright colors along the soft colored sand.   


Sunrises could be matched by no other.  Many a morning I'd sit on the beach and wait for the sun to meet the horizon and throw colors throughout the sky as it would rise to say good morning.  The oranges, yellows, reds would reflect and dance with the waves and slowly come to shore to greet me.  Storms were another event that were beautiful in their own way.  I've always been one for a good summer storm.  I love to watch the lightening splatter across the sky, and I think the sites there are what gave me that love.  To see the crackle as it crossed the sky and the flash that would make it look like daylight.  


Trips there were always relaxing and fun, and unpacking and finding sand in everything let the memories linger for a few more days.  I look forward to another visit, and soon!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words paint a very graphic picture of this, I could imagine it all!! It sounds idyllic. I was in Richmond when Hurricane Isabella hit, I remember seeing the news coverage from the Outer Banks, it looked beautiful then, if a little windy!! I live on the coast and couldn't imagine living inland, I love the sea. This graphic looks so real, I feel I could dip my hand in the water!! Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I love it! Would love to visit there. Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

Ok, now I need a beach fix! lol  Beautiful entry and beautiful graphic too.  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Very Nice.  Loved it.   I have been to South Carolina but never to North Carolina.  Now maybe I will go there someday.  Wow and I need to brush up on my history cause I did not know that is where the Wright Brothers flew the first plane.  I am sure I was told but it just didn't absorb. lol  Sounds so beautiful.  Wish I were there.  Take care TerryAnn.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

What a treat for a grey February day ,feel as though I've been to the sea ,for a while ,your discription of the colours ,the feel of the sand,taste the salt ,great entry ............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Donna
A delightful entry and a wonderful description of the experience by the sea.  This sums up why I have chosen to live on or near the water for the past thirty years of my life. Well done, I really enjoyed reading this.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I completely agree.  I've been lucky enough to get to go to the Outer Banks twice.  I loved it there.  We usually had a big group go down and we rented a house.  We had to walk to the beach, but usually not far.  I liked all the seabirds and crabs and playing in the ocean!  The jellyfish I didn't like!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Awww..lovely. I'm just brushing the sand off my legs before I go into my beautiful house for a long cool drink and watch the sun go down.....mmmmm

Anonymous said...

Makes me yearn for the beach!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Great entry. Makes me wish I was there. Helen

Anonymous said...

Wow it sounds great :-)  Makes me wish I was beside the sea taking deep breathes and smelling it!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Beautiful graphics....I am MISSING SUMMER!!!
; )

Anonymous said...

I've been there, too.  Stayed for days on Ocracoke Island, climbed Cape Hatteras lighthouse.  Loved feeding the seagulls off the back of the ferry.  It's a magical place.  

Phin

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! The picture is beautiful and I found myself being lost in it, until I read your descriptive words, which momentarily, helped me dream myself there. A beautiful break in this winter of present.~Cheri in CO~