Friday, March 9, 2007

~ Talking Greek ~

No offense intended, but I know this entry is going to be 'Greek' to most of you yet I just had to post/vent.  I've posted a little bit in the past about the cheap shots in my favorite sport.  Back in the day when the pads and protection were not what they are now there was a lot of hits and fights, but never a loss of respect for the opponent.  The league has been trying to move in a direction of speed and finesse', or so they want folks to think.  Last year the officials called the clutching and grabbing and allowed the game to flow end to end with lots of excitement.  This year it started the same, but some time around the holidays things started to slowly change.  The grabs and pulling to slow down the faster players, the slashing, the cheap hits.  Not necessarily 'illegal' hits, but cheap.  Well after the play,  hitting high with the intent to hurt, hitting from behind.  Players making millions of dollars and having no respect for each other and the officials and the league looking the other way or giving a slap on the wrist. 

 

A couple of weeks ago all hell broke loose at one of the games I was at.  A cheap shot and then a brawl.  The owner of the Sabres wrote a letter to the league.  This letter was made public, but was not the first time he had brought it up.  He wasn't asking for special treatment because one of his players was hit and hurt, but wanting some action over the entire league to save these guys from themselves.  It's a shame the barbaric plays are what is getting publicity, how many players have been hurt, etc.  What a horrible way to introduce the game to a casual fan.  There is so much good about the game these plays are tearing down all the good things.  So what happened after the letter?  He was mocked, called a whiner, media outlets made fun of him.  The same guy who hit our player was involved in another incident where the opposing player broke his arm.  Then two other teams involved in a hit from behind where the guy went into the boards and is still out and unable to play.  Then there was an uproar, the guilty player suspended for 3 games.  Hardly any punishment at all.  The player he hurt is more valuable to his team and has missed more games then that.  I will never hate this game, but I am getting totally disgusted with the inconsistency and the fact the guys in charge have no balls to stand up and lay down a punishment that the players will take seriously.  This before someone is killed.  When you make 5 million a year a $1000 fine is nothing.  

 

So this morning I am hearing chatter about a hit last night.  I saw it and about puked.  I could not believe what I saw.  It isn't about my team, but it's about my sport.  The hit could be classified as assault.  It cannot be ignored and the league needs to take action.  If it were up to me this guy would never play hockey again.  Ever!  Heat of the moment?  Bullshit!  A couple inches lower and he could have killed the guy.  The player who got hit did come back during the game, and my gut is telling me that will be taken into consideration when punishment comes down.  Why?  Because he wasn't killed, the assault is ok? 

 

I want my sport back the way it is meant to be played.  You don't have to know the rules, or know the game to see that this is just disgusting.  What do you think his punishment should be?

 
           

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tihk sitting the season out to think about thier actions and loss of half thier pay and time in a rehibiliation ward of those who have truama would be agood and benificial!!!!!!!!! yes sports not just hockey but all sports have gotten carried away. I agree.

Anonymous said...

OMG I can't believe he hit him like that!!  He could have killed him if it hit his neck just right....GEEZ!  
I say hit 'em where it hurts....make them pay a HIGH $$ penalty and sit out for a season without pay.  That'll make them think twice about it.  But, the BIG WIGS need their players so they won't do that.  
Damn...
Have a good weekend,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this.    I heard about it, but missed it on the news.
Marie

Anonymous said...

Typical, coward punk. Ain't man enough to slug it out with fists, uses his stick like the wuss that he is. So what's he gonna do, claim to be a "victim" or check into rehab.
His next hockey job should be selling the hotdogs in the 2008 season.

I hate the kind of cheap-shot mentality that is taking over American Sports.

Anonymous said...

Well Donna I do agree with you here and all you are trying to point out.We sometimes get this in our English football and Rugby .The opponent getting hit just as this video shows.only with the full out arm stretch.How at times the opponents head doesn't drop off at the force beggars belief they get hit so hard.One recently going to hospital comarised.Also other assaults as you call them.Few of the sports players  today are not what old time players, sometimes it does point to an up and coming differant generation.Thats only my view though.I feel as you.Give the sport back how it used to be played along with millions more who say the same.verdict Ban for life the offender and attacker.Not susspentiomn from two or three matches(punishment over)Many more players are waiting to take these culprits places.Sorry you are so upset,but I do know where you are coming from.My partner was a rugby player and we used to look forard to the matches in them days not now though.Take care God Bless
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand.MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Yep your right all greek to me but I can understand the sentiment basically cheating in any form but especially with violence should not be tolerated.
Debbie xxx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Nothing is sport any more its another profesion.but then what do I know ,its all geek to me lol ....love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

To me, all sports are becoming so commercial.  No one takes pride like they used to.  They are all spoiled rotten brats the way they conduct themselves.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/       Tracy

Anonymous said...

Don't know much about hockey at all, but this looked so wrong. I hope they will make the guy sit out for the rest of the season and have him work on anger management. Something needs to be done.~ Maria

Anonymous said...

Ohhh my god that was shocking, how the guy was not dragged of the ice is behond me. The guy is not a true sportman just a thug in padding. Please let me know what the guys punishment will be. In my eyes he should have been arrested soon as he came off the ice.
Love and hugs
katie
xxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

I totally agree...I am not a great hockey fan, have been a few times and did love it when I attended. Truly in any sport-it isn't as sporting anymore, it's all about the $$...Not ALL players some truly just play for the love of the sport-but this was unexcusable and unnecessary.
Michele

P.S. Prayers going up now for whatever the need maybe..

http://journals.aol.com/glensfork4/these-are-my-thoughts/

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna, I thought I heard last night that the offender got an indefinite suspension. I guess that is so that they can take the time to figure out what his penalty should be.
I would vote for at least a month with no pay. That was the worse I ever saw.
Bill

Anonymous said...

I am sorry this is happening...i know you have a love and passion for this sport and it means a great deal to you and even though i know nothing about it, i get upset for you.
Love,lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi, Donna. I'm just getting caught up on my reading and this is the first one I went to. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I totally agree with you! Not only should he not be allowed to play the sport ever again, but I think he show go to jail for assault. That was so disgusting. But, unfortunately, that's what sells nowadays...and I really hate to say this, but, they probably would have loved it if the other guy had have died because it would have given the story even more mileage, God forbid. What is this world coming to when they ridicule a nice man that writes a letter trying to stand up for what's right, and they look up to an out-of-control, hot-headed bully as some kind of hero? You should write letters to the editor--you're really quite talented! God bless you.  :o)