Wednesday, January 31, 2007

~ Winter Sky ~

Looking out my window this morning was deceiving.  I could see a bright powder blue sky and the sun rising over the houses across the street.  It actually looked like it might be warm outside. A faint orange glow surrounded the dark bare trees.  When I headed to my car I was quickly proven wrong.  The snow still laying on my driveway crunched with each step.  It sounded as though I was walking on thin pieces of styrofoam, and it was breaking beneath me.  The snow on my windows glistened in the light and looked like it was from a movie scene and fake.  I really didn't need my snow brush to wipe it clean.  I could have just blown it off.  Hmmm.. some might think I have enough hot air to do just that.  As I turned my key to start the car, I heard a deep rumble of a groan.  My car didn't want to move this morning either.  It did start no problem, it was just cold.  Bitter cold!

 

Driving into work was peaceful.  The roads were clear and dry, covered only with the remnants of salt that had been used earlier to help clear the snow and ice.  It sparkled like tiny diamonds in the sunlight.  It actually looked beautiful and amazed me how much damage something so pretty could cause.  Something so fine could eat away the metal of your car.  No wonder the car wash is always so busy on the nice days of winter.  Driving on the highway is when I realized Mother Nature was at work.  Driving to work I am headed straight towards the lake.  The sky was bright powder blue with huge white clouds over the lake.  To the south the clouds were not as white but more a gray with a hazy orange/gold blanket laying on the top of them.  The sky was a deep dark blue.  Wisps of aqua blue trails stretching as far as the eye could see.  I definitely knew there was a heavy snow band there.  No doubt they were getting hit hard and heavy.  Thin cotton like candy pastels of soft white, yellow, pink, and purple to the north.  They danced with the wind and moved like the ocean.  The brightness from the sun made it almost look like it was animated with glitter.  I was in awe, the beauty was calming and true to a winter sky.  Tiny specks of glitter fell to the ground.  To think each speck was of a different shape and yet you could barely see it.  If the sun wasn't out I don't think I would have.  I wouldn't even call what was falling snow, it was more like tiny slices of ice.  Maybe Mother Nature was dusting after her wonderful job painting the sky for me.  Yes, you see she did it for me.  I was in need of something calm and beautiful to start my day. 

 

Ending my day wasn't as calming.  The sky was dark, gloomy.  Snow flakes the size of quarters were falling.  The road was no longer shining, it was a sloppy thick mixture of snow, water, and salt.  It was grungy gray and as slick as an oil spill.  Trucks flew by as though they had no worries of slipping, some cars drove as though they had no traction at all.  I moved at a snails pace and held on to my stirring wheel rather tight.  Why folks just can't drive normal.  Leave some extra space between you and the next car.  No.. instead they speed up to get on the bumper of the car in front of them and then ride their brakes.  Grrrrrrrr  Others need to change lanes only to speed around the car in front of them and then pull back in front of them to drop their speed by 15 mph.  It's no wonder more folks don't die in winter driving accidents.  

 

I arrive home safe and sound and hoped for just a relaxing evening.  Not so lucky!!!  My nephew showed up to visit with his Mom... or to get away from his Dad and Grandma not sure which.  He hasn't said a word to me and believe me I like it that way!   I just wish he wouldn't talk at all.  He's loud and constantly telling stories that are so obviously exaggerated.  Makes my skin crawl these days.  No worries, I can act like nothing happened just like him.  That is until he needs to use the computer to sign for unemployment.  NOT!!!

 

Both graphics tonight are pictures I took the other day.  I had a few requests to see them a bit larger.  I had to animate the crick... LMAO and the other well... a different version of Mother Nature :)~   Might add a few snags later.  I'm just tired and trying to get back to that place I was this morning as I saw the perfect winter sky.

 

Hugs

~d

 

       DsDesignsCazCreek.gif

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

love the bottom graphic. PIX its aweosme yes the ground crunches even adn we are to get snow for Thursday. Funny though how bright the sun was today you could pretend it was summer till you got outside!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, these are beautiful... Along with the images created by your words.  Very serene.  ::still waiting for the snow to fall once again::

Michelle

Anonymous said...

I loved the picture you took of the snow with the blue.  Also your story of what the sky looked liked and how beautiful it all was, was great.  Hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow.  Joni

Anonymous said...

I love the images I imagined through your words. Very beautiful description, Donna!  
Beautiful graphics, too. I hope you have a good day tomorrow.
Pam

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

thank you, you have started my day with pictures of beautiful skies and reading your discription left me with a sense of calmness and peace. Drive careful and stay safe.
Love
Debbie

Anonymous said...

your description of your morning ride made me feel like I was riding in the car with you, still no snow to write about over here in England, I would love to live where you are, fancy swapping homes, LOL,  as for your Nephew I have my own oppinions about him,
Love the graphics
take care Lynne xx

Anonymous said...

Love the animated "crick", even cooler that it's a REAL picture you actually took!  I remember those days of commuting to work when the weather isn't great.  I don't miss driving on the highway at all!  You described the sky so beautifully!  Felt like I was there.
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

How lovely ,your discription of you journey to work ,your words painted a very real picture ,Fancy your nephew appearing again so soon ,keep your resolve the PC  is out of bounds to him ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Donna
Nice reflections on your morning commute.  The graphic work that you did with your pictures really turned out nice.  The owl flying in front of Mother Nature was a nice touch.  Who knew Mother Nature would be such a babe!  
Sam

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a description of the sky. I think you left us all in awe at the beauty.
It must be difficult with your nephew, but just don't let him near your computer.
Love Pat x

Anonymous said...

My whole family says crick instead of creek. That made me smile. This entry in itself could be a magazine article that you were paid for. Not only are you a talented artist, you are an amazing writer. I feel like i am in the car with you as you drive.
love,lisa

PS- i hope the annoying nephew stays away from you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful graphic.  Just lovely.

You description of the morning was wonderful. Wish I could have seen it from the view point.  

We're icky, slushy, sleety and everything is crusted in ice.  :-)

Deb

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Awwww you wrote that lovely hun. Love the graphics Laine xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/elainey2465/art-degree/

Anonymous said...

WoW, I felt like I was riding with you, beautiful description...Yeah people become "snow dumb" drivers...I always did hate that. Morons.
Michele

Anonymous said...

I love the bottom graphic!  Linda

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

the way you told this i felt like i was there seeing it also. glad your home safe. ((((((hugs))))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h