Saturday, June 9, 2007

~ Sixth Sense ~

DsDesignsADailyView.gif


Once again wildlife has shown me they have a sixth sense about the weather.   I took my camera to work on Friday to get shots of the 'duck'.  I was looking forward to sitting out at the picnic table out back of the office to see what I could capture.  Since the weather has been nice I sit out there for break to recharge.  Without fail there are squirrels running and playing, black birds and crows squawking, robins singing, seagulls soaring.  Tucked away in the outskirts of the city, they are afraid of nothing.   So Friday on two different occasions I went out with camera in hand.  I sat, looked, watched, my head on a swivel trying to find something.  It was hot and the air was thick with humidity.  The impending storm could be felt.  It was evident the animals knew it was coming as they were tucked away in the safety of their homes.  Nothing to be seen or heard.  A few blocks from my office there is a church and it's steeple towers above.  I've always loved the architectural design and figured I'd grab a shot of at least that.   It's a bit of distance away, but I think you can see the detail.  Some day I will go that way and park close by to get some better shots.  As I was taking those shots, I did hear the squawking and when I looked an entire family of birds was in a tree.  I zoomed in and did my best to get them.  Why couldn't they be closer to me?  Luck never has it that way, eh?  I snapped away and was able to capture one as it took off from the branch it had rested on.  I thought they were just black birds when I was shooting, but when I got them on the PC I think they are actually crows.   The wing span is much larger then any black bird I've seen.  Ahhh, but I'm not a bird watcher so I have no clue.  I just take the pictures.  LOL  Since I had them, I thought I would show them to you.

 

No doubt you've all heard about the storms that have come across the country.  My area was no different.  The sky turned dark and the winds got angry.  Thunder boomed and lightening reached to the ground.  The rains fell and sometimes the drops were so large it looked fake as it bounced off the roads.  It lasted about an hour at my house, but I've heard on the news many were without power and other areas had major damage.  Mother Nature was angry at something......... and the wildlife knew it.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

yes the storms were very hot and muggy before hand. it was a sticky hot storm front for sure.

Anonymous said...

when making the headers for your journal....are you using scrapbooking kits along with psp tubes...just curious but I really am enjoying the look....and your headers would make GREAT scrapbooking pages to print out and save for your family album....
thanks for any info you can give!!!!
-Ellie
Jibaro6543

Anonymous said...

The church looks beautiful Donna, I love looking at church architecture. Those stonmasons in the old days were certainly craftsmen! The birds look like crows to me, I love the 'fingers' on their outstretched wings! I'm glad you were safe in the storms you had, they seem to have been world wide, I heard there was a lot of storm damage in Australia too. Hope your good weather's back now! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

Hi ya D Im just catching up with you - I like the pics - we have had lots of stormy weather just recently - its very muggy here too. Laine xx

Anonymous said...

Donna
From the resulting graphic it is clear that you were able to take lemons and make lemonade.  When the animals head for shelter, humans should take heed and follow.  Glad you didn't loose power.  Our internet at the house has been down for two days now and it just about drove us mad.  Not the loss of internet service, but the runaround they were giving us for the reason why the service was out.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Love love love the pics.
Debbie
xxx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I have to agree that they are crows.  Great photos and what a beautiful steeple on that church. Sorry to hear about the damage caused by the storms.  We rarely get them that bad here although we do get them.

tp://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I also think that might be crows. We have some big blackbirds here though. The Bluejays have a fit when crows come around. They snatch the baby birds. The church steeple is beautiful. Have a wonderful Sunday. Helen

Anonymous said...

Nature is amazing isn't it?  Nice pictures too..  Linda

Anonymous said...

Your pictures again have made a lovely collage Iagree think they are crows ,and yes can see the detail on the steeple its very majestic ,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

We had some rain so thick you would've gotten soaked (in town) at our house about 7 miles south...NOTHING-not a drop...

Michele

Anonymous said...

Great pics! We have not had rain in days and days.....we need some. I hope today is sunny and bright.
love,lisa jo

Anonymous said...

I wish our storms would come during daylight. I hate storms at night, they always wake Rebecca up. I love the photo collage. ((((((((hugs))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

D, I missed this when I rushed back to request the second tag, which was a huge hit by the way!!  Nice shots and I'm amazed at what you can do to a presentation of pictures to make it special.  Great job.