Sunday, March 12, 2006

Happy Birthday Baby..........

                   DsDesignsTheBirthdayBoy.gif


Ok, so he isn't a baby anymore, but in my eyes he will always be my baby.  My son turns 20 today.  It is so hard to believe that 20 years has passed.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  Waking up in the middle of the night thinking I had heart burn, calling the Dr., being admitted to the hospital, laying around waiting.  At one point I begged for a caesarian and the Dr. replied with 'this isn't a Denny's Donna you don't come in and order.'  I remember being in recovery and on the phone with my parents, who were 1500 miles away, to give the news.  The Dr. comes in and asks if I need to have the phone surgically removed as no matter when he stops in I'm on the phone.  Muah?  No way!  LOL  Telling my mother how beautiful he is, how he has full head of dark curly hair.  How later in the day when they brought him into me I removed his little cap only to find light peach fuzz.  What the hell?  Where did his dark curls go???  Drugs!  See what they do to you!?  I examined every little part him.  I wanted to make sure he was all there. 

 

All the ups and downs of raising a child.  The excitement, the joy, helping them through the heartache and failures.  Being there as their rock yet far enough away to let them grow.  Always wondering if you are handling the situation correctly.  They come with no directions, can you believe it?  Everything you get has directions.  No matter how much common sense is involved, you still get a label on electrical appliances, 'don't submerge in water.'  Cars with cruise control, 'you have to stay at the wheel and guide the vehicle.'  On furniture, 'do not remove this tag.'  OMG!  Yet the most important thing in the world comes with nothing but a filled diaper bag and a congratulations. 

 

I could go on and on about what he has done, what he has accomplished, but I will just say all in all he turned into a great young man.  Sure, he is still a 20 year old boy and has so much to learn yet.  He is on his own and trying to be a responsible adult.  I am extremely proud of him and love him with all my heart.  Happy Birthday Baby!

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me add my Happy Birthday wishes!  Love the graphic -- feels just right for the way some parties go!  LOL.

Congrats to you, Mom, on a job well done!  I'm sure there was lots of love and hugs given along the way.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to your son ,a young man to be proud of ,whatever the age they are still our babies though arent they? lol ..............Jan xx

Anonymous said...

That graphic is so awesome. Happy happy happy bday to your son. You should be proud of him and i am glad you wrote about it! My son is going to be 14 next Mon and i still cant believe that. Take care! lisa jo

Anonymous said...

I thought I was reading about my 'little' boy there, all 24 years of him. Your description suits just about all the boys out there!!! Happy birthday to him!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope he has a wonderfully BLESSED and ENJOYABLE day today !!!

Peace & Blessings,
Poochie

Anonymous said...

That was so funny about the heard of dark curly hair. Happy Birthday to your son. Helen

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your son!!!!!
I was on my own at 20 yrs. old also... =)
Hehehe@ the where did the curls go...u crack me up
Hope you have a great sunday!
Hugss..~Terri~

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on raising a wonderful son.  My oldest is almost 18 and I have  3 more to go.  I can relate to all the ups and downs children bring you.  

Happy Birthday to your son!!!!  

Have a great day..................Liz

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your son!  My daughter, Becky, turns 25 on March 31st.  You really do have to wonder where the time goes to.  It seems like just yesterday I was changing diapers.  HUGS  Chris

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your son! - What a special day for the both of you! Enjoy it! Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you did a pretty fine job raising that "boy" of yours!  You should be very proud!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!
Hugs and love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Aww...what a great entry!  Happy birthday to your son.  GBU, Shelly

Anonymous said...

Do wish you son a happy birthday from all of us here in j-land.  You are a proud mama and he is sooooo lucky to have a wonderful mother like you.  Have a fund day today.  TerryAnn.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to your son!
nat

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Maybe they switched babies on you!  Gasp!  I remember those drugs, I wandered out to the nursery at midnight after I had my daughter and was looking at this baby in the incubator, naked where they put them right after they are born.  I asked a nurse why my baby was in there and she said thats not your baby!  LOL!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday to your boy :-)  Hope he had a good day!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. Giving all of us who are parents, a flood of memories. Belated HB to your son. ~Cheri in CO~

Anonymous said...

"All the ups and downs of raising a child.  The excitement, the joy, helping them through the heartache and failures.  Being there as their rock yet far enough away to let them grow.  Always wondering if you are handling the situation correctly.  They come with no directions, can you believe it?  Everything you get has directions.  No matter how much common sense is involved, you still get a label on electrical appliances, 'don't submerge in water.'  Cars with cruise control, 'you have to stay at the wheel and guide the vehicle.'  On furniture, 'do not remove this tag.'  OMG!  Yet the most important thing in the world comes with nothing but a filled diaper bag and a congratulations."


Donna,
First, Happy belated birthday to your son. Second, he had a good mother! Or has rather. Third, the above is so beautifully written. It's something I read twice ~ to remember.
Dianna