Sunday, May 6, 2007

~ Game 6 ~

DsDesignsgame65-6.jpg


Anyone who thought today's game would be a cake walk wasn't really paying attention.  With 5 games already out of the way and the Sabres up in the series 3-2 you had to know the Rangers would come out firing.  Win and stay alive, lose and go home. 

 

The excitement had been building all morning.  I had been invited to my parents for turkey dinner and told them I'd be there after the game.  This was a game I had to watch at my house.  The puck dropped and the skating started.  Up and down the ice, several nice body checks.  My eyes glued to the TV, waiting watching.  Both teams showed up to play and gave it their all.   Buffalo out shot the Rangers 11-8 in the first but went into the locker room down 1-0.  Lots of time left in the game.  It wasn't long after the goal I got a text message.  Someone's faith was wavering.  They are playing good I replied, and there is time.  Not sure if I was talking him into it or trying to talk myself into it.  I was nervous.  I did not want game 7.   The second period started and just under two minutes in Kalinin took a wrist shot from the point that beat Lindqvist.  Score tied!  A minute later, Pominville takes a slap shat that goes to the back of the net.  Yeah baby boys are up 2-1.  I've said it before and will say it again.  Never count the opposing team out until the buzzer goes.  Two minutes later while on the power play the Rangers tie it up.  GRRRRRRRRRR  that lead didn't last long.   Boys weren't happy either.  They became the team on a mission.  Three minutes later Hecht pounds one home.  I was stoked.  This guy is so underrated.  He isn't a huge goal scorer but he has the touch.  He got stuck on 19 goals for the season and it appeared as though he'd never hit the marker again.  His defensive play and grit is well accepted and the opponents hate his strength with the puck and along the boards.  :::wiping brow:::  Lead is back.  A couple more minutes go by and the Rangers take a penalty.  The boys have to make them pay.  That can't let the opportunity slip by.  They don't!  Seconds before the penalty is over Mr Clutch scores again.  Period ends Sabres 4 - Rangers 2  All four of our goals coming in the second.  Do you think I was breathing easier?  Not on your life!  My nerves were raw.  Twenty minutes boys, twenty more minutes.  Don't sit back, keep playing hard.  The third starts.  It was like a wild showing of speed and talent.  The Rangers were fighting, clawing and scratching for a goal.  Five minutes in another penalty and Jagr scores a power play goal.   I wish the boys could stay out of the box!!!  Jagr and his mates kill us on the power play.  We are back to a one goal lead.  The boys fight with all their might.  They want to end this series today.  Fifteen minutes in, Hecht scores his second of the night.  Jochen picked a great game to come out of his scoring slump!   Now we have our 2 goal lead back and there is 5 minutes left.  I am pacing and screaming at the TV.   'Get it out' each time the puck was in our zone.  One eye on the play, one eye on the clock.  I swear each minute was 120 seconds long.  Four minutes left.  The dreaded whistle.  Oh shit!  Another penalty.  I shiver with fear.  Please no last minute heroics for the blue shirts.  No such luck, a minute into the penalty they score.  We are down to a one goal lead and three minutes.  Anything can happen.  I shake a little and pace some more.  The scene was a frenzy.  Bodies falling, pucks flying.  The Rangers storm the net.  Miller stands on his head more then once.  I can't even sit.  I'm standing in front of the TV, crossing fingers, crossing toes, no doubt eyes were crossed too.  Time is ticking.  Lindqvist leaves the net in favor of an extra attacker.  I'm dying.  Then I hear it.  The buzzer goes off.  No goals in the dying seconds.  Boys win 5-4 and continue on to the conference finals.  They will be playing Ottawa, a team they know well.  There is no love loss there either.  That is the team they played when all hell broke out.  Should prove to be an interesting and hard fought series.  No start date yet.  I'm stoked.  Boys are probably home and getting some much needed rest.  They will need to muster up all they have for this round.  Let's Go Buffalo!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

your enthusiaum is catching and I enjy your excitment over the game

Anonymous said...

So far so good right? Now no more doubts, lol!

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you all afternoon as I was hard at work.  Hahahaha   I was thrilled when I heard the final score.  Looking forward to the next round and the excitement you bring.  Bring on Ottawa!

Anonymous said...

Another great game, and Ya gotta love the results!  Way to go Buffalo!  
Sam

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO BOYS!!!!! When it gets to this point - it's never easy. Glad they came through with flying colors! Have a happy week!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Donna, no wonder you have t watch the game alone. i doubt any one would survive going through a game with you.
Glad the boys came through for you. Good luck with the next set. Bill

Anonymous said...

I was enjoying an early Mother's Day brunch with Hubby when I noticed the big screen TV that had been showing the World's hockey game over in Russia, all of a sudden change to the first twenty seconds of game play between Buffalo and New York. Thank goodness we were getting ready to pay our bill, and rushed home to watch the rest of it. Way to go, Buffalo! I'm cheering for them over here, Donna!
Sincerely, Rose~*