Monday, May 7, 2007

So Very Sorry

                        DsDesignsSoverySorry.gif


Well it seems my entry from last evening morphed into more then I wanted and I ruffled a few feathers.  Let me start by saying I was not complaining about folks visiting me and not commenting.  Now that would be calling the kettle black.  It's not about snagging my graphics either.  I have said over and over I do them to share.  What the hell good are they if I do them and they sit on my hard drive?  It's a hobby of mine and I am so freaking addicted to it!  With that said, I do ask that you not alter,  edit, or claim as your own.  A link back if you use it in your journal is appreciated.  All comments are welcome and appreciated - those with links back to 'your place' included.

 

My entry was more about the changes in JLand.  I used my journal and the changes in how folks visit and comment as an example.  Nothing more was meant.  I mentioned the tracker only to confirm that some of my readers are regulars and use to comment but don't anymore.  Big deal?  Nahh.  Sure we all want comments but that wasn't what I was driving at.  My main idea, thought, change that I was questioning is how we are being notified of new entries.  I am not talking about my settings, or about alerts being down.   I have 100's of journals on alerts.  What I was curious about was the way folks take it upon themselves to also send an email to a mass list of members to come visit.  Whether I know them or not.  To leave comments on their recent entry.   How, when I've signed on over the past several days I got IMed by folks with nothing but a link to their journal.  No hello, no how are you, just a drive by IM with their URL.  These by folks who don't visit me or leave me comments.  (I know this for fact as I got more today)  Is that the way it has to be?  You visit me, I visit you?  Hell no!  Some could care less about my graphics or what I say but I find them extremely interesting so I still visit.  I am just wondering if this is the trend of the future?  Is this the acceptable way to inform folks of new entries?  Should we all just turn off alerts and send mass emails out?  Do we really want my name in a bulk mail list for others to grab and send to?  Is this a change that I missed? 

 

Sorry for those ruffled feathers.............

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna
I understood your point the first time around and I agree that this change in the way people try to get readers or comments is different and can be somewhat disturbing to us old timers.  No apologies needed here.
Sam

Anonymous said...

We ruffle feathers even without meaning too sometimes. I've hurt feelings, and gotten people angry at me because sometimes I've commented- other times I've not. I don't think you owe anybody an apology. You were simply expressing how you felt about something. I've hurt feelings a lot lately, without intending too, wasn't even aware I had until I got emails. I have not been able to keep up with all the changes so just do my best.
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Donna,
I too would not like getting IM"S that way...I thought the reason that we all started journals was to be able to write out our thoughts, etc...and getting comments and making friends is a great bonus...but no need to try to IM for them...lol lol...
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I must admit, I was a little confused, but I wasn't going to question you.  I just thought you had a bad day..Ü  & I didn't think you were talking about me anyway, so I wasn't going to let you  ruffle my feathers...Ü  
Geeez, your boys win & theres no living with ya, now!  Ü
Have a great evening Sweetie~
Marie
*Ü*

Anonymous said...

My feathers are intact!  How can you get thru all those alerts everyday?  Wow!  Linda

Anonymous said...

My feathers are not ruffled... But I am with you. I suscribe to Feedblitz for a few journals not on AOL and they send me an email when those journals have been updated. I don't know if people are doing the mass emails because of the situation with alerts. But I hate the IMs like that!!!! Tawnya

Anonymous said...

well I dont see hwo you ruffled feathers at all. I think things always change we dont always like it and miss some of the old stuff. BUT Hey I think its good to question changes to make sure we are not loosing touch. It was goood for me I feel that you brought out this stuff. THANKS :>}

Anonymous said...

Personally i feel you owe no one an apology. This is your journal and you are free to write anything you want, D. SIGH.
LOVE YOU,lj

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I use to read alot of journals and not comment (for senseless reasons) not knowing how one would be accepted - but now knowing J-land) the friendships are well worth it, even if a comment is left or not ! But to go to the extreme that some are now going to, to get new or any readers is beyond me - Love your journal and your work, your truths and your freshness!!!! I hope someday there is an answer! Take care of you and yours!

Anonymous said...

no biggie in your last post..
and it looks like Thursday is going to be the first game woohoo can't wait
take care

Kris

Anonymous said...

i wasn't upset by your last post.  You have every right to express your opinion on your own journal.  Point taken about Im's though. I am still  unused to this way of using the internet I have sometimes realised too late that someone wanted to talk to me and thinking it was an annoying aol pop up mistake, I have clicked it off.   Duh!
I haven't yet taken the time to see what there is to do on aol.  It's comming to me slowly as I find the time to learn.  Even the language use you all use in replies sometimes baffles me.  My replies are still long drawn out as in a normal letter by post.  I will become more succinct in time.   Lol!  As for IMS and using them to bombard other people's mail boxes?  I have enough coming into my box without having to reply to even more electronically generated mail.  I sometimes run out of time to make my own journal entry, I'm so busy replying and reading others.  I have to sort that bit out...Lol!  Somehow I like the personal touch of folks dropping by.  Even if they don't have time to reply. ( How do you find out how to use a tracker?)   Jeanie

Anonymous said...

We dont appear to be getting the IMs ,but as I said I will stick with the old way ,of reading journals ....love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I understand where you are coming from...nothing to be sorry about...many hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

D I knew as soon as I saw the comments going up on the first entry that folks either didn't read it in its entirety or they just didn't comprehend.  I'm sorry but after this second entry I say they aren't reading.  It is clear as day what you're saying.  I for one would be mad as hell if folks continued to email me with links and begging for comments.  Random IMs are unacceptable.  You don't intrude into someone's online adventure with self promotion and nothing else.  We turn off pop ups for the specific reason.  I say block them.  Why people think this is all about comments on your journal is beyond me.  Read people, read!

Anonymous said...

Donna, I have one or two folks who IM me with new entry notices ... and I don't mind ... they read me ... I read them ... and they post seldom.  But, I wouldn't enjoy getting IMs or bulk e-mails with URLs from, uhm, whomever.  I visit where I like, I choose who to re-visit and I search on my own (with some help from my journal buds) for new people/writers/journals.  I do hope that the IM and mass mailing mania does not catch on.  Ugh.

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with the mass email or the IM's ~ you didn't ruffle my feathers :-)

Jenny

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Hi Donna,

I haven't been around lately, but caught up with your entries.  How is your sister doing?  I'm finally beginning to feel "human" again, so hopefully I will stay caught up with journals.  Hope you're having a good day.

Take Care,
~Bilinda~

Anonymous said...

Oh i totally agree with ya on the IM (with link to entries) thing...I've never gotten one, but thats a bit ridiculous in my opinion(not like mine matters...lol)  but seriously...why couldn't someone leave ya a comment and leave their link in it as well....and if you had time you make the decision as to check it out or not.  

Hugs,
Terri

Anonymous said...

Feathers get ruffled faaar too easily around here lately. It's a wonder that anyone leaves comments anywhere anymore, cos someone's always getting slammed for something they've said or commented about. It's ridiculous! I love these journals, and writing my own has taught me so much about myself and others, but some people need to stop and see..they're only journals. Sheesh, where did the fun go? hehe!

Love ya babes

xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

(((((((((((((((((((((D)))))))))))))))))))))))) Have a great wednesday.
Cindy