Saturday, May 12, 2007

~ It Was Close ~

DsDesignsGame25-12-07.jpg


Yes, it was close but we all know that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.  The boys came out firing.  About 2 minutes into the game there was a scramble in front of Ottawa's net, a shot taken that gets deflected in.  It's called a goal on the ice, but it was deflected in off another Sabre player.  With Vanek's hand firmly on the stick ready to tip it or to catch a rebound the puck goes in off the back of his hand/glove.  No goal.  That rule always baffles me.  GRRRRRRRR  Vanek wasn't done tho, about a minute later he scores.  This one counts.  Three minutes later Hecht scores and the boys are up by 2.  They played their hearts out only to give up a goal with about 5 minutes left in the period.  The second started slow.  I was amazed at how off the boys became.  The ice was definitely a partial factor.  A bit too soft.  You could tell for both teams, their skate edges just weren't right as they lost their balance and the puck bounced all over.  Unfortunately Ottawa was able to score on 2 power play goals to take the lead.  Our special teams has been stinking up the joint, and has for some time.  I had hoped it wouldn't come down to that.  Period 2 ends with the Sen's up by 1.  The third period was full of end to end rushes.   The boys fighting for pucks along the boards, trying desperately to get a goal and tie it.  As time ticked away I felt my heart sink.  Could they possibly pull off last minute heroics again?  Damn straight, them are my boys!!!  With 5.7 seconds left in regulation the Briere puts the puck in the net.  I thought my heart stopped.  We're going to OT.  I was stoked, but worried.  Could lady luck be on their side and get them this win.  The first overtime period is full of action and the goalies were stellar.  Twenty minutes and the horn goes leaving it still tied at 3.  I'm not feeling real well, my tummy is jumping all over.  I want one of my boys to be the hero tonight.  Second overtime starts and about 5 minutes in Ottawa scores ending the game 4-3 and taking a 2-0 lead in the series home with them.  Ryan Miller skated off the ice with his head down.  This is not on him, he was amazing as he has been throughout. 

 

So it's a best of 7 and we are down.  History and odds are against us, 83% of teams leading a best of seven series 2-0 go on to win.  My heart is heavy but I will cheer my boys on and hope beyond all hope they can pull this off.  Start fighting boys!  Next chance in Ottawa on Monday.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah... I got feeling about them.  The boys are going to rally and win the next three.  Then Ottawa will win again.  So they'll be tied...it's gonna come down to the 7th game and Sabres are gonna take that shit, man.

Anonymous said...

best of luck

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Sorry your boys lost. They'll get em next time right? ((((((hugs)))))))
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Wishing the boys great MOJO (as my Bobbi would say)...have a great momma's day D...

Michele

Anonymous said...

Donna, tough lose. Overtime losses stink. Bill

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

Oh D, I am so sorry.  I know you haven't given up faith nor should you.  I saw some of the game and they played their hearts out.  No hanging heads for this game.  They will not go down without a fight, and I don't think they will go down.