Friday, May 4, 2007

~ Intensity Builds ~

DsDesignsGame25-4-07.jpg


Game 5 of the second round tonight at 7 pm.  A few little story lines.  Max Afinogenov came back at the end of the season from a broken wrist.  He never really found his game and was benched in game 4 of this series.  I don't know that I would say he played tentatively but you didn't see the speed he is known for.  He was making uncharacteristic plays almost being a liability.  I was sad that he was sitting, but we needed something more and he wasn't delivering.  So tonight for game 5 he was back in the line-up.  He never said a peep about being benched, even though you know he was upset.  He stayed focused and said all the right things.   Another great addition in the line up was Paul Gaustad.   He has missed some 35 games due to a sliced tendon above his ankle.  Never did I think he would be back this season, but damn it was exciting for him to be back tonight.  He is a gritty player and definitely adds a spark to the room and the bench.  Jagr called out Drury in the NY media basically saying he isn't impressed with his play.  Hmmmmm  Like Mr Clutch needs motivation or inspiration.

 

Locally we get the majority of the games on MSG.  During the playoffs some games are on Versus exclusively.  I was on MSG and they had boxing or something so I switch to Versus.  The pre-game show is on.  Just as they are to sing the National Anthem the screen goes blue.  WTF!?!  A message appears on the screen that I do not have access.  I flip to MSG, and no game.  I am flipping out.  I pick up the phone to call the cable company.  I am ready to lay into someone.  Just then in the middle of the show on MSG it flips over so I can see the puck drop.  Geeeeze I hate that they switch so late!   I'm jittery and nervous.  Palms are sweaty as my hands shake a bit with anticipation. 

 

The boys come out flying.  Both goalies are playing out of their minds.  Up and down the ice trading chances.  Paul Gaustad was doing his part checking and fighting on the boards for the puck.  Giving us the additional spark we needed.  The boys were given 3 penalties in the first period and each time I cringed.  The Rangers have been killing us on the power play.  :::wiping brow::: the boys escape.  Period ends 0-0.   Two minutes into the second another penalty.  Cripes!  I'm beginning to feel this is a bit lopsided.  I am not saying the calls were bad, but the lack of calls was driving me nuts.  I swear I was ready to jump in my car and drive to arena to shake these officials.  We make it through the first one and a few minutes later, another.  Good gaaaaaawd boys you're playing your hearts out and firing on all cylinders do not take these penalties!!!  The last 3 penalties of the period go to the Rangers, but the score is 0-0.  My boys did show up.  They were playing out of their minds, just like they have done throughout the season but Lundqvist was like a brick wall.  High, low, 5 hole, didn't matter nothing was getting by him.  Third period starts and the whistle blows.  Another freakin penalty!!  I want to die.  My heart is pounding, I'm breathing as though I was out there skating up and down the rink.  Defense comes through!   About 13 minutes into the last period the Rangers are on a rush.  They head straight towards the goal.   Isbister passes off and runs straight into our goalie knocking him off stride.  The whistle blows and the shot goes in the net.  No goal!  A penalty against the Rangers for goaltender interference disallows the score.  :::shiver:::  That was close, a good call and necessary.  Play continues and with less then 4 minutes to go in the game the Rangers score.  I feel tears well up.  I shoot a friend an email.  Less then 3 minutes to play and we are losing 1-0.  As tears roll down my face I am thinking they gave so much, and left it on the ice.  I don't want to think they will lose, but it isn't looking great.  Time ticks off and I am clinching my teeth, 16 seconds left in the game and Buffalo calls a time out after an icing call.  The puck will be dropped deep in the Rangers zone and our goalie is on the bench for an extra attacker.  The puck drops and I can feel my heart pounding,  I want to close my eyes but can't.  The puck is flying towards the net and players are swarming.  Tim Connolly takes a shot and it bounces off the goalies pad and out to Chris Drury's stick, he slams it and in it goes bouncing off the back of the net.  With 7.7 seconds left in regulation the boys tie the game forcing overtime.  I jumped off the chair, screamed at the top of my lungs and my phone went nuts.  I thought my heart stopped.  Mr.  Clutch once again comes through!  The period ends and we get a little break before OT starts.  I am a wreck.  I want this so bad, for me, for them, for the city.  Overtime starts, and why am I not surprised?  Twenty some seconds in we are called for another penalty.  OUCH!!!   I want to crawl up into a ball and die.  Defense don't fail us now!   Derek Roy was like a mad man clearing the puck every chance he had.  Penalty over, game still tied.  Four minutes in to OT the Rangers take a penalty.  Our power play hasn't been the greatest and you almost wish we were playing 5 on 5, but there is always hope.  I always have faith.  Ten seconds after the Ranger goes to the box and sits down, Maxie... yes my MAAAAAAAAAAAAAXIE takes a shot from between the dots and beats the goalie.  The arena erupts, pom poms flying, almost 19000 people inside are standing and screaming, 4500 outside are jumping, yelling, and pumpin their fists in the air.  I scream, 'my maaaaaaaaaxie', and jump in the air as tears roll down my cheeks.  I do believe!!!   Max, well he is so excited he dives on his belly and slides across center ice and jumps up smiling to be mobbed by his team mates.  Sabres win  2-1 in one helluva game.   He played like Mad Max does and I don't think we have to worry about him not being in the line up for the next game.  Series shifts back to NY for game 6.  My heart is still beating a mile a minute but the clock is telling me it's time for bed.  Think I'm going to sleep?  LMAO  NOT!!!

 

Let's go Buffalo!

 

               DsDesignsGoose.gif

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait... I thought the Sabres lost at some point...  I'm GLAD they're still going.  Man, my brain just isn't keeping track of things like it should.  LOL.  So... how about a belated WOO-HOO!

Anonymous said...

I knew you would be happy tonight when I watched the news!  LOL  Good for you and the boys!

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

omg that was close ,, we were goin nuts over here as well.. pheww we needed that win,, crossing fingers for the next one :)

Kris

Anonymous said...

I had to wake up hubby to tell him that Buffalo scored with just over 7 seconds left. He couldn't believe it! I was cheering along with the crowd, too. And that overtime was a great finish. Bring it on . . . (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

you are so excited from the beginning,why go and see it on the spot~~i know playoffs from nba. so they are the same.if u have time ,you can send me some "baseball" game rules maybe.  i saw a film recently "sudden death"(amercian  films),just like this game,  5:5 in the last second. but i cannot remember the actors, their name is too long.  you can search it yourself, not too bad.

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate enough to get to watch this game and yes, it was exciting.  Maxie's winning goal was awesome!  Congratulations to the boys!
Sam

Anonymous said...

Goodness that close oh man!!!!! what a game

Anonymous said...

I saw on the news last night your boys won and the first thing that came to mind was you. I knew we'd hear from you in an entry. And wow what an entry, so full of info, so powerful. Like I said before you need to be a sports announcer, cause you have a way of making us feel like we were there. Congrats to your boys, well done.
((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
Love,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

That was awesome and yes intense to say the least! Glad they got it done! Have a happy weekend - Take care of you and yours!

Anonymous said...

GO BOYS!!! WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO...I heard you screaming (just kiddin)

Michele

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

What a game!  I only saw the end, but I did see the most exciting part.  Your words definitely get the intensity across.  You keep believing girl!